serves 2 people, 30min prep time
2 heads of little gem lettuce
1 red spring onion
1 bulb of fennel
2 1/2 tbs 43 Ranch Helen’s Blend olive oil
juice from 1/2 lisbon lemon
1 1/2 tsp honey or simple syrup
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 tsp white (wine) or champagne vinegar
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Big Sur Salts Gavilan blend to taste
1. Chop off the entire butt of little gem. This should free up all the leaves at once, making them easier to rinse.
2. Slice lettuce down the center rib. Chop horizontally into approx 1” pieces. This should give you bite size pieces on most leaves. I like to cut the larger leaves into smaller pieces, but that’s up to you. Place lettuce into salad bowl or plates.
3. Remove fennel fronds. Fronds can be eaten, but for this salad we’ll focus on the main bulb. You can place them in water (think cut flowers) or frozen and used in broth (#ZeroWaste).
4. Remove and discard the base of the bulb. Then slice the bulb as thinly as you can. You could use a handheld cheese slicer. Layer fennel slices atop the little gem.
5. Thinly slice 3-4” of red spring onion’s green stem. If slices don’t nicely fall away, casually pull them apart in your hands. Sprinkle onion on top of fennel.
6. Thoroughly blend olive oil, lemon, honey, dijon and vinegar. It should start to look a little creamy.
7. Drizzle dressing over salad. Salt and pepper to taste.
If you have some leftover thyme from last week’s box, a couple sprigs in the dressing would be a lovely little flavor punch.