Serves 2, prep time 30min
1 fennel bulb
2-3 tbs freshly grated parmesan cheese, to taste
1-2 tbs bread crumbs, to taste
½ tsp oregano (fresh if you have it!)
1 tbs chopped fresh flat leaf or curly parsley
2-3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
sea salt to taste
fresh ground pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a medium baking pan.
- Prep the fennel by cutting off the stalks (see Note below), then cut the bulb in half lengthwise. Remove the hard core in the middle, then thinly slice to about ⅛ inch.
- Combine the parmesan, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and oregano.
- Line the fennel in the prepared baking pan and sprinkle with the parmesan mixture. Drizzle with remaining olive oil.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the fennel is tender. Serve immediately.
I do have to credit an old
Note: About fennel, some people say it has a licorice taste. Personally, I feel like they taste related but not the same. I also love licorice (the candy and the root). However, with the fennel bulb you can avoid the strongest licorice taste by removing and discarding the stalks and fronds. I suggest saving them for your vegetable broth (HYPERLINK BROTH RECIPE).