serves 2 people, 20min prep time
1 beet, peeled & chopped into 1/4” cubes
2 carrots, peeled (optional) cut in half lengthwise, sliced
1/2 cucumber, peeled (optional) & sliced
4-5 leaves of lettuce, ripped or chopped
4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
juice from 1/2 meyer lemon
5 stems of thyme, leaves removed from stem
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp coriander
Dash of white (wine) vinegar
- Wash lettuce. (I always do this first to give the lettuce time to dry. If you have a lettuce spinner, great! But if not wet lettuce in a salad can make your meal unnecessarily soggy).
- Peel and prep beets, carrots and cucumber. Set aside.
- Remove thyme leaves from the stem. Keeping the younger stems (lighter in color and very flimsy) won’t make a huge difference. Roughly chop the thyme.
- Blend olive oil, lemon juice, cardamom and coriander. Add thyme and the dash of vinegar. Mix until blended.
- Chop or rip lettuce and place on plate or in salad bowl.
- Layer beets, then carrots, and then cucumber on top of lettuce. Dress the salad.
This would also be great with some cold, roasted chicken!