Serves 2, prep time 45min
1½ c (2oz) ciabatta or baguette (best if it’s stale) cut into 1-inch cubes
1 lbs Terra Firma mixed heirloom & san marzano roma tomatoes, diced into bite size pieces (pictured above!)
½ Refarmery’s candy yellow onion, thinly sliced
2-3 cloves of chesnok red garlic, minced then pressed into a paste
1-2 tbs fresh oregano, chopped
½ c torn basil leaves (you could add parsley here too)
3 oz fresh mozzarella, torn or cut into bite-size pieces
1 tbs capers, drained
1 tbs red wine vinegar (champagne, white wine or white work too), more to taste
½ tsp Dijon mustard
Large pinch red pepper flakes
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil, more to taste
Sea salt & fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Toss bread cubes with 1 tbs olive oil & couple pinches of salt, and spread on rimmed baking sheet.
2. Bake until (more stale, ha! but also) light golden brown, about 10-15min. Let cool on wire rack (parchment or even paper towels will also work if wire rack is unavailable).
3. Put tomatoes, mozzarella, onions, garlic, ½ tbs vinegar, oregano, ¼ tsp salt and the red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Toss to coat and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine remaining ½ tbs vinegar, mustard, ¼ tsp salt and black pepper to taste. While whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in the remaining 2 tbs olive oil until the mixture is thickened. Stir in cucumbers, basil and parsley.
4. Add bread cubes, cucumber mixture and capers to the tomatoes and toss well.
5. Let sit for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours before serving. Toss with a little more olive oil, vinegar and salt if needed just before serving.