serves 2, prep time 30min
5 oz oyster mushrooms, destemmed & cut to 1/4″ slices
10 oz desiree potatoes, halved then quartered
1 large handful baby red chard, roughly chopped
2-4 garlic cloves (or 6-8 if you’re like me!)
2 sprigs oregano, destemmed & finely chopped
4 tbs fat (butter, extra virgin olive oil, bacon fat or all three)
Salt & pepper to taste (Big Sur Salt Old Coast blend would be great in this!)
1. About half way through your veggie prep, heat 1 tbs butter and garlic in skillet on the lowest temp. Let it sit for 5-10min. It should turn golden brown and become aromatic. If it starts to sizzle, turn the heat down or remove entirely.
2. Once garlic is aromatic, add potatoes to skillet and turn heat to medium. Stir every minute or more, make sure potatoes don’t stick.
3. In a separate, small skillet, melt 2 tbs butter at low-medium heat. Add mushrooms. Let simmer, stirring every so often, for about 5min. Turn heat off when they become tender.
4. Once potatoes start to feel cooked, turn up heat to medium-high and add another tbs of olive oil. Stirring more often, again to prevent sticking.
5. After a couple minutes (when they’re crispy), turn heat to low and add baby chard and all oregano but a couple pinches. Stir in for a minute. Chard leaves should wilt completely.
6. Serve potato hash. Top with oyster mushrooms, the remaining oregano and salt and pepper to taste.